Sandro Botticelli (1445-1510) was one of the greatest lyrical painters of the Florentine Renaissance. It is to the pure visual poetry of his outcomes that he owes his fame. Botticelli’s manipulations of the visual facts for artistic purposes were as deliberate and creative in his day as Picasso’s were, in the 20 century.
This is the only one of Botticelli's paintings known to have been exported from Italy during the artist's lifetime. It is recorded as being in the possession of Isabella the Catholic, Queen of Castille, in 1504. It was probably brought to the court of Castille by a merchant, accompanied by various other luxury goods.